Your surroundings can have a huge impact on the way you feel. When you walk into your bedroom, do you feel like you’re in a calming oasis away from the rest of the world? When you enter your breakfast room in the morning, do you get a burst of energy (without having to fill up on coffee)?
It is absolutely incredible the impact that good design can have on your life! As a designer, I truly believe that I play a partial role as a psychologist (although not educated as one). When I meet with a new design client, I’m not asking them about their favorite colors. Rather, I ask how they want to feel when they walk into a room.
Although there are thousands of colors and combinations to make you feel different things, here are a few to get you started:
Relaxed Master Bath
- PPG Porter Paints Blue Lullaby 402-2 on the walls
- PPG Porter Paints Delicate Mist 402-1 on the ceiling
- Natural elements such as a hand woven basket to hold your towels and a live plant to make you feel happy
- PPG Porter Paints Butterfly Bush on walls
- PPG Porter Paints Shrimp Toast 122-4 on the back of book shelves
- White (clean and simple) furniture
- Flowers or live plants
Inviting Living Room
- PPG Porter Paints Sahara Sun 230-6 in the foyer (bonus if you have a nice arch leading from the foyer to the living room)
- PPG Porter Paints Pony Tail 315-4 in the living room
- Richly colored cognac or espresso leather sofa
- Highly textured and natural wood pieces
- Live greenery
Note the common denominator amongst all of these spaces; live plants or flowers have a huge impact on the way we feel. They have the power to make you feel happy, calm, yield better concentration and much, much more. The surrounding colors in the space will help you determine which of these effects they may have on you. Plants and trees are a vital part of our survival on earth and thus, they should be included in our interiors.
This year, resolve to make yourself better by enhancing your environments. Never underestimate how much a well designed space can improve your well being!