Moving day is something that we all encounter at least once in our lifetime. It can be a stressful process, and sometimes there seems to be no end in sight. With a little preparation, you can save yourself some of the aches and pains that come with the excitement of moving into Atlanta real estate. At Morris and Raper Real Estate Consultants, we have put together some tips to get you through the big move:
– Pack and label boxes one room at a time (living room, bedroom, kitchen, etc.).
– As you’re packing, designate a giveaway box to fill with “purge” items that can be dropped off at a donation center.
– When calling professional movers for a quote, you can likely get a better rate for hiring more movers (less hours) versus trying to hire less movers, which will end up costing you more hours.
– Have a plan in place for your pets, who can experience distress as your home is packed up and familiar things are carted away. Treat your animal to a stay at a pet “spa” on moving day, so that you can pick them up and safely transport them to your new home without any incidents.
– Pack a box of daily used items that you know you’ll need easy access to when you arrive at your new home: toiletries, hairdryer, towels, snacks, paper plates, paper towels, a couple of days of clothes, pen and paper, phone chargers, etc.
– Don’t wait until the last minute to start packing. Many movers charge by the hour, so save yourself time and money by packing up as much as possible at least one week before your actual moving day. It’s an overwhelming process, but doing a little at a time can take off a load of stress.
– Decide to do three things within the first day or week in your new place that will make it feel like home to you despite the chaos of having boxes everywhere. Some ideas: break out your favorite scented candle, bring in a fresh plant, set out family photos, buy a new decor item or cook one of your favorite meals in your new kitchen.
-New to the area? When you are getting settled in your new home, be sure to pick up the local news or neighborhood guide (often found for free in the grocery store) to help you become familiar with your new community.
Are you still searching for the perfect home to meet your family’s needs? Call us to be matched with an agent or start your home search directly on our website.